Thursday, October 30, 2008

Portrait sculptor -Figure sculptor - why do I use wire tools with serrated wire cutting end

Examples of some tools to use for sculpting in clay. I used oil based clay-
I use 7404A single wire end modeling tool with a sharpened wire cutting,and 17402A single wire end modeling tool with a serrated wire cutting end.

You use the wood end to draw lines and shape the sculpture-I use this end of the tool primarily at the start of the sculpture. I use the other end of the tool when I start modeling the form of the sculpture.

You might want the sculpture to be smooth, however, it is best to use the serrated edge of your tool when you are modeling the form. When you do this it helps you "see", it also helps to see if you have any holes or small places in the sculpture that needs clay. Once you try this you will understand what I mean.

Then once you add the clay, you can then go over the sculpture with the serrated edge again, to see if you need to add more clay. Then if you want the sculpture to be smooth, then use the other side of the wire tool and go over the sculpture.

Of course I use other types of tools- metal, etc.

If you have any questions, let me know

Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment